Each patient is different and will require a visit with the dentist who will determine what the best course of action should be. This will include:
- Dental x-rays for any remaining teeth
- Check the stability of the remaining teeth
- Determine if there is evidence of periodontal disease
- Make a determination if any remaining teeth need to be extracted
- Determine if some of the remaining teeth can withstand root canals to attach partial dentures to
Other considerations the dentist will speak with the patient about are what type of dentures they need or want:
- Full set of standard dentures or over dentures
- Partial dentures also known as a bridge
- Removable or permanent partial dentures
- Dental implants
Hybrid dentures are the best dentures, but are expensive. These dentures are fixed on dental implants. They don’t move, so eating food is very comfortable. Hybrid denture implants are fixed on the jaw and the denture is fixed on implants.
Once the dentist completes their exam, they will detail which options are available to the patient. A written estimate will also be provided at this time with an explanation of the charges associated with the different procedures.